The purpose of The Oversew Fashion Awards is to promote upcycled fashion by recognising talented individuals and aspiring designers who recreate, revamp and redesign pre-loved clothing into desirable fashion garments.
Eco-fashion and upcycling are growing trends overseas and in New Zealand. The Oversew Fashion Awards is a medium to showcase and celebrate New Zealand’s creativity and awareness of the importance of this fashion niche. Mike Jones, Managing Director of Wairarapa Environmental says their partnership with The Oversew Fashion Awards, “Is a marriage made in recycling heaven”.
The 2015 Saturday night Awards Show was another sell-out, and was followed by a popular matinee on Sunday, which featured the presentation of the People’s Choice Award as voted by the audience from Saturday night.
Our winners from 2015
- Earthcare Environmental “Award of Excellence”: EQUIPOSE by Paul Edgar Bird
- Wairarapa Environmental “Luxurious Leather and Lace”: ENCHANTED FOREST OF THE FOX by Joanne Bentley and Runner-up DARK KNIGHT by Jessica Wigg
- Jo and Kelly Leaders in Real Estate “9-2-5”: EQUIPOSE by Paul Edgar Bird and Runner-up CITY SWING by Catherine Boyd
- Copthorne Hotel and Resort Solway Park “Wine’d Down”: STREET by Abbey Jennings and Runner-up THE GLADRAGS by Kate Williams
- Paulownia Estate “Elegant Evening Wear”: EVENING PRIMROSE by Hana Brough and Runner-up FINDING BEAUTY IN NEGATIVE SPACES by Shannon Rae Hayes
- Sew Carterton “Young Designer”: BLUE DIAMOND by Sarah Whitehead Kai
- Gladstone Vineyard “People’s Choice”: THE GLADRAGS by Kate Williams
- NZ Fashion Tech Scholarship: SIXTY by Susan Colton and Encouragement Award DE FLEUR by Orion Scott
- Massey University Space Between Internship: DARK KNIGHT by Jessica Wigg